HIGH DEFINITION WEBSITE

HomeHD PortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this week
Top posting users this month

Share | 

ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:37 am

PATIENCE: THE IMAGES MAY TAKE A MOMENT TO LOAD

Hello to those who have taken an interest in using Photoshop to create their own customized decked out signature. In this tutorial, I will be using Photoshop CS2 to create this practice signature. However, if you have just Photoshop CS, you will be just fine and of course, anything higher than Photoshop CS2 and your fine as well. I have never used gimp, but if you can follow this and do something similar in gimp, then great!

This will be a very long tutorial, so I have broken it down into the following segments. You can also use the "Find on this page" option from your browser to jump to a section in this tutorial if you want to go straight to a section.

[St1] Finding Your Fonts
[St2] Finding Good Brushes
[St3] Finding Quality Images and Renders
[St4] Setting Up Your signature
[St5] Let Us Brush!
[St6] Finishing Off The Siggy
[St7] Upload and Installing Your Work of Art

If you have any questions about anything that you are about to read, feel free to PM me with your question and I will do my best to get back to you on that. On that note, here we go.

Heads up now, just for kicks I am going to make a Jill Valentine signature. I don't know why, but I had her picked out in my mind all along for this tutorial. Hopefully I won't disappoint.

[St1] Finding Your Fonts

Recommendations: Exit out of all programs and applications. Especially Photoshop!

Hopefully you have some kind of idea about what you want your signature to be about. Who or what is in it, the colors that will be used, the size of your siggy, and so on. Well if you can picture that then great, let us find a font style to go with it, yes? The best place to get free fonts is Dafont. They always have new font submit to the site daily. On this site you do not need an account or anything, everything is available to use right off the bat. You'll see the font menu as shown below.

And below this are the recently added fonts, but for now I want a horror/suspense font for my Jill Valentine signature. For those who don't know, Jill Valentine is from the Resident Evil Series. She was in Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 3, and Resident Evil 5 as a non playable character. As the title suggests, this is a horror/survival game. So a horror font makes sense, yes? So on that menu I am going to go to the horror link under the "Fancy" category. When the page loads, it should have a list of all kinds of fonts. You can see the preview of each font here. When you see one you want, click on the download button. Save it in a special location. I recommend you create a new folder and name it simply "font". Now that you download it, you must install it. Aamunkoi is the font I chose to download. So lets install it. Open your font folder that you downloaded your chosen font to. If it is in a Zip File, unzip it. In this folder there can be anywhere from 1 to up to 10 files in it, depending on what the creator chose to put in it. Once you see these files, leave the window open. Go to START --> MY COMPUTER.
Now open the drive that your Windows Operating System is installed on. Chances are it is the C: Drive. Open that up.

Now look for a folder titled "WINDOWS". And finally, look for the folder titled "Fonts" and open that. You should see a world of fonts located inside that folder.

All the fonts here are are of only 2 types...TrueTypes (TT) or OpenTypes. These are the types of fonts you system can accept for absolute sure. There may be another one or two that is will recognize, but these are the most common types. Now go back to the folder you downloaded your fonts and check for those font types. Hold down the control key and click on any and all TrueType files or OpenType files, ingnore the rest. Once all have been highlighted, drag them from your font folder to the windows font folder. If done right you should see a "Installing Font Screen" that will appear for a few seconds. Once it finishes, you have properly installed the font. Great job! Like I mentioned earlier I installed the "Aamunkoi" font. So if you like it, download it!

You have completed the first step in making your own custom signature.

[St2] Finding Good Brushes

Recommendations: Exit out of all programs and applications. Especially photoshop!

Alright! This is a very important step into creating your own work of art. Brushes are great for one thing...creating epic backgrounds, but lets focus on getting some installed in photoshop. Brushes can be hit or miss. More hits than misses, but misses do pop up once in awhile and chances are if it looks bad, it was the brushers fault. Anywho, great brushes can be found at Deviant Art. I usually go here and browse designs, however, if you google "download free photoshop brushes" there are plenty of sites that have some good ones, but I go here the most so lets use this site. The link should take you all the way into the brushes page. Each visual is basically someone who took their set of brushes and decorated a page and placed it here. So look for images that look awesome. Remember, don't look at color, look at design. You can color any of these images anyway you want later. Design people!

What NOT to get:
or

First of all it's Miley Cyrus. Enough said. More importantly the images are just of Miley Cyrus. Nothing else! If you were to brush a background with this, you would get fail all over. Same goes for the Rasta image. Nothing there but an image of a guy. You can't brush with things like that, you need more abstract designs.

What TO get:
or

Perfect! You want images that have an abstract theme, with layers of brushing done to them. Something that captivates. My recommendation is to go through and download as many cool themes as possible in say...20 minutes. Get an good handful of images, just in case a set doesn't look right, you have others to choose from. Now to download them.

Find an image you like, click it. It will go to a new page with your selected image blown up. Still like it? Good! Now two things to look at. Make sure you read the creators notes. Often they will specify which prorgam they used to create the brush, more importantly it tells you if your version of photoshop can support the brushes.

So here the creator states that this was made using Photoshop CS5. I only have CS2, so chances are, I cannot use this brush. This brush will only work with CS5 and up. Since I have only CS2, I can only use CS2 brushes or lower. You can always go lower than your version, but never higher. However, sometimes, there are brushes that will work with lower programs. Don't know how...but if you see one higher, go back and find another.

Once you do find one there is an option to download it on the right hand side. The button will show you this...

or

Right now create a folder on your computer that is titled "brushes".

Now, .abr is the file extension for photoshop brushes. If you see the button that has the .abr download. Awesome! You are getting the exact brush as a download. You can download this STRAIGHT to the photoshop program. I am not sure where yours might be installed, but mines look like this. Go to START --> MY COMPUTER --> C: DRIVE --> PROGRAM FILES --> ADOBE --> ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS2 --> PRESETS --> BRUSHES --> ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ONLY

This is where you brushes are stored for use in photoshop. Now I highlighted C: Drive in red cause there is a 80% chance that yours will be on your D: Drive, or another drive. D: Drive is usually the default install drive for most standard PC's. I also highlighted CS2 cause you may have a different version. So just be aware.

In here you have a small tiny list of brushes that are given to you by default.

Now my folder had more in it cause I have downloaded a handful already. Now again, if you are downloading the .abr brushes, you can come right to this folder and directly install them. Done deal. Very easy. However, if you are downloading the .zip file, save it in you created brushes folder. Once save open/unzip that folder and in that folder can be anywhere between 1 to 10 files. Only select the .abr files, ingore the rest. So hold down the CTRL button and click on only the .abr files. You can then copy and paste them into the proper folder or simply drag them there. However you choose works just fine.

Well then! Great job, you have now installed yourself some good brushes, lets see if we can make some good looking work out of them!

[St3] Finding Quality Images and Renders

Recommendations: Have Photoshop Open and a Internet Browser Open.

Very key step here guys, we are getting into the good stuff. Locating good pictures for your siggy!

Now, the big question...

What to look for in good images? Well I am here to tell you! You have two choices...and image or render. What is the diffence between pictures? Simple. Images are just that...they are pictures. Pictures with full detail..a background, midground, and full ground, each filled with content.

Example of Image...

So here we have Jill Valentine. This is a good image. The quality is decent. Not great, but decent. You have all that I mentioned, (or two at least) a foreground and background. The only problem with most images is that you want just the cutout of Jill Valentine. Not the background or any of that stuff, so you are forced to PRECISELY cut Jill out here which a) can be time consuming, even in photoshop, and b). As mentioned before, your getting less quality. So lets stay away from Jill in this image...

How about a render? Renders are what I HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Renders are basically the picture of that person and that person along amongst usually a white or black background. These are much better simply becuase they are MUCH EASIER to cut out of, which you will see along the way.

Example of Render...

So here is a render of Jill. Her on a solid white background. Renders happen from two ways. 1) The image came that way. Capcom (creators of Resident Evil) made this image as is. They placed here on a white background and put her out ther for others to view and download, simple. Or 2) This jill was placed in a "image" with a background, midground, and foreground, but someone very skilled came along and with great precision, cut this jill out of that image and pasted her on a white background giving us a render of Jill Valentine. Either way, her she is. She looks fine, no noticible niches in her arm or face, no discoloration, nothing. Everything looks good. The best way to search for renders of characters is to google them and include "Renders" in your search. (ex: "Jill Valentine Renders"). If you would like to browse some renders, Planet Renders has a massive selection of renders to choose from. Becareful and use a good eye, some renders are poorly done, wether you catch it on the website or after you have uploaded them into photoshop. Try to spot the obvious bad renders before sending them to photoshop.

An obvious bad render.

Things to notice.
1.) The gun. Especially around the barrel, look like it was cut poorly. Not a smooth circular barrel.
2.) Failed Contrasting. This image may be a bit more difficult to cut out since you have a person in a black jacket on a black background. If you are very skilled, you can still pull this off, but if she has a black jacket on, she needs to be on a white background.
3.) Outlines. If you look closely along the edges on the character, you will see small white outlines in certain areas. Big no no! That means the person did not cut this person out right. However, a skilled user can go in and cut these lines out without messing up the render. However, I would avoid this at all costs.

Hopefully, you have chosen a good render for your siggy now. Save it! The fun begins!

[St4] Setting Up Your Signature

Recommendations: Have Photoshop open and ready to go.

So you found your render! Great! There are two ways of get that render in photoshop. You can always just save it and open it up in photoshop. However, a quicker way is once you find the image, right click, and copy it. Go to photoshop, click file new, and press okay. Once your box is there, press CTRL + V. The image should pop right in. When you copy and image and go to file new in photoshop, the dimensions of that image should automatically be placed in. So when you hit okay and then paste that image...perfect fit. So here I have our Zombie Slaying Friend Jill here.

Just minimize your image for now. Let focus on getting a size for your signature. I tend to use larger signatures like 400 x 150 or 500 x 150. Lets use the 400 x 150. Go File, New and enter those numbers. From here I will be using a big .jpg file to complete this tutorial.

[St5] Let Us Brush!

[St6] Finishing Off The Siggy

[St7] Upload and Install Your Work Of Art

Now to go ImageShack and upload your work from your PC. Once uploaded copy the DIRECT LINK url. Once copied, come to your favorite clan's forum and to your profile. Go to signature. In the signature box type

[img.]Paste your url code here[/img.] *Please move the periods added. DO NOT INCLUDE THEM You should see you image now!

YOU ARE DONE! MUCH CONGRATS TO YOU! FEEL ACCOMPLISHED? THAT'S RIGHT YOU DO!

Please post some of your work here so I can see if this helped at all!

Last edited by ELITE FRANCH1SE on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://highdefinitiongaming.forumclan.com
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:47 am

I'll post some of my other work here.

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 am

How is it?I couldn't get the borders right, and the first two pictures I wanted to use for it wouldn't ablige to the magic wand. I may go back and try again now that I understand, because this was all rather enjoyable!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:28 am

You should also note that this took me a good 6 hours (from 3 AM to 9 AM)
First pic got some parts cropped out by the magic wand, that took a good half hour to find. Before I did that I looked endlessly for the right brush and text.
Second pic was too big for the sig. It would have spanned the whole thing, and if shrunken down it just wouldn't look right. So I settled for third pic, 12 oz. mouse. I decided I would need a new brush as well. Tat puts us up to about 5.
Then I took a good while trying to find my freaking brush. It was 6: 30 by the time I found it. Brushing for a while, messed up on that and started twice over.
Finished brushing, couldn't find my "Bad Ass Mofo" font. Found it, installed it, then CSE froze. Sent an error report, started over from scratch!
8:55, saved for web, uploaded, and then 9: 07 finally got it up here. Yay.
*gasp for air*
Back to top Go down
Da Freakin P0PE
General
General

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Just finished mine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slyzzard
Commander
Commander

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Wow..Gimp Is Impossible....I Can't Do Animations On It My Version Doesnt Have The Same Tools As Whatever The Video People are using Its Impossible
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Captain Grgbrgl wrote:

How is it?I couldn't get the borders right, and the first two pictures I wanted to use for it wouldn't ablige to the magic wand. I may go back and try again now that I understand, because this was all rather enjoyable!

Hahaha!
Hahaha!

12oz mouse! Epic stuff!

Okay, I am looking at yoru siggy. Nice brushing! For your borders, did you emboss them? They still look very flat. I can see them though, just barely. If you still have the .psd file, try goin back and doing an emboss, and maybe a light drop shadow.

It took you almost same amount of time to make your siggy as it took me to make this tutorial. Took me about 7 and a half hours.

Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:42 pm

Da Freakin P0PE wrote:
Just finished mine.

If you brushed your background, it looks really good! The only thing I could see is that you probably could of did some light blurring on the hair of your render. Looks good though! Nicely done!

Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Okay so where do i get photoshop?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:51 pm

You can get them at any computer store. Best buy, Fry's, etc..

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:56 am

I couldn't find the "black circle with the F in the middle" when it came to borders. I'm pretty sure I was using a different version though, because first6 I was using Photoshop 7, then I was using Cam Studio Editor. The former I definitely reccommend.
Back to top Go down
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:04 am

I had photoshop 7 a long time ago, now sure if they had layer styles. That's what they are called. Open up photoshop 7 and use the search/help option and search for layer styles, it maybe located elsewhere.

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 pm

I cant believe that Elite typed all of that. That was like a college research paper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:54 pm

I think is about time for me to work on another signature. XD

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Probably. Before you the last post was by Brady, who hasn't been in the clan for ages. Ironically, he's rank 3.
Back to top Go down
PhenomonalPop
General
General

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:08 pm

I Like Your Sig.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 pm

I hear ya, I like it too, but I have had it for awhile. I was revisiting this and figured I should try something.

General
General

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 pm

You Did A Good Job On Your New Signature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Thank you sir! I had fun making it!

General
General

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Lol I Just Made My New One. It Sucks Though Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:14 am

PhenomonalPop wrote:
Lol I Just Made My New One. It Sucks Though Lol.

I will certainly say...

IT'S ****** HUGE!!

Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:42 pm

just did this one using gimp. I think it's pretty good for my first try. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ELITE FRANCH1SE
Final Prestige
Final Prestige

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 pm

The major concern I have with that is the font color. Hard to see on that background.

Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 am

yea I noticed that after i posted this. I had it zoomed in when I was working on it so I could see it clearly. Im going to mess with it again here in a bit. Got to start from scratch cause I merged without make a save with the un-merged layers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!   

Back to top Go down

ELITE FRANCH1SE's : How To Make A Signature!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
High Definition Gaming :: Other :: Anything-
Jump to: